As far as healthy snacks go, peanut butter is one of the most appetising. It tastes great on a slice of wholemeal toast or a bagel, delicious mixed with a smoothie and surprisingly good when added to a bowl of chopped apple or banana. It’s full of protein, and contains high levels of healthy fats – especially if you go for the organic variety, which don’t contain paunch-prompting hydrogenated fats. Levels of sugar and salt can vary between brands, so check the label to ensure you’re getting the healthiest option.
Why eat peanut butter?
- Peanut butter contains high levels of protein, which promotes muscle growth and prevents muscle breakdown.
- The magnesium in peanut butter provides a source of slow-release energy, to keep you fuelled for longer.
- It’s full of fats which assist in the production of the muscle-building hormone testosterone.
- Peanut butter contains zinc, which boosts your immune system and is often deficient in the diet.
- It contains high amounts of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat, which reduces the appetite.
Which peanut butter tastes the best?
Meridian Organic Crunchy - 3/5
A lack of added sugar or salt makes this a very healthy but fairly bland spread.
£2.19 for 280g
Peanut Butter & Co Crunchy - 4/5
This is runny with an abundance of nuts, without adding palm oil or sugar.
£2.19 for 340g
Sun-Pat Original Crunchy - 4/5
Not the healthiest, but the added sugar and salt provide a super flavour.
£1.75 for 227g
Whole Earth Crunchy Original - 5/5
This thick, satisfying peanut butter tastes great despite having no added sugar.
£2.59 for 454g
For more taste tests, subscribe to the magazine. We'll give you five issues for £5.