The Smith machine allows you to press more weight without worrying about controlling the bar.
- Rest the bar on the back of your shoulders, not your neck.
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, toes turned out slightly and elbows back to retract your shoulder blades.
- Place your feet slightly in front of your body to put more emphasis on your quads.
- Brace your core muscles and unlock the bar from the rack, looking forward throughout.
- Lower your body until your thighs are parallel to the floor.
- Maintain a natural arch in your back.
For more exercise, weight-loss and diet tips, get the magazine. Subscribe now
and we'll give you 5 issues for £5!
Alternatively, get MF's brand new interactive edition