One of the original big-muscle moves, this recruits the back, glutes and legs to stabilise the body.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Bend your knees and lean forward at the hips, not the waist.
- Your back should be straight and your neck in line with your spine.
- Grip the bar just wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Let the bar hang straight down at around knee level.
- Retract your shoulder blades and tense your core muscles to stabilise your body.
- Squeeze your shoulder blades together and pull the bar into your sternum.
- Lower the barbell slowly to the start.
- Hold your torso steady throughout the move.
For more exercise, weight-loss and diet tips, get the magazine. Subscribe now
and we'll give you 5 issues for £5!
Alternatively, get MF's brand new interactive edition