Exclusive Hugh Jackman Wolverine Meal Plan
Hugh Jackman's daily meal plan
5.00AM - one hour before training
Oats and berries
- Soak 75g rolled oats in apple juice. Mix in 2tsp pumpkin seeds, 2tsp sunflower seeds and a handful of berries. Oats provide slow-digesting carbs that give you long-lasting energy, while the seeds are full of iron, which will improve the blood flow to working muscles.
6.00AM-7.00AM - before and after weights
- MF's suggestion: Reflex BCAAs. Branched-chain amino acids (BCAA) are the building blocks of protein. These go straight to the muscle and start a process called supercompensation, which repairs the muscles and allows them to grow bigger and stronger.
7.30AM - after cardio training
Recovery shake and bar
- MF's suggestion: Maximuscle Creatamax Extreme and Viper Extreme bar. While the creatine helps repair used muscle tissue, the simple carbs from the Viper Extreme bar will deliver nutrients to your blood and muscles, for faster and stronger recovery.
7.45AM - after training
- Blend 1 scoop of MyProtein Impact whey powder (MF's suggestion), ½ a banana, 300ml semi-skimmed milk, pinch of cinnamon and 15g ground cashew nuts. Whey protein powder is a quick and easy way to gain fuel for musclereplenishment and growth. Protein will also increase muscle mass, burn body fat and help manufacture testosterone.
10.00AM - morning protein boost
Turkey stir-fry with spinach, broccoli, mushrooms and cauliflower
- Serve with 40g (uncooked measurement) of brown rice. Turkey is a lean source of protein and is also rich in muscle-building amino acids. The vitamin K in the spinach will help strengthen your bones, while cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli are rich in nutrients that reduce your oestrogen, a hormone that lowers testosterone.
1.00PM - lunch
200g rosemary chicken with sugar snap peas and asparagus
- Serve with 40g (uncooked measurement) of brown rice. Chicken is rich in amino acids to encourage muscle growth and repair, as well as zinc, which raises your levels of muscle-building testosterone. Brown rice will also provide you with B vitamins, which helps convert carbohydrates into energy.
4.00PM - mid-afternoon energy
Walnut trail mix
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place 150g walnuts on a baking tray and bake in the centre of oven for around ten minutes until fragrant and toasted. When cool add to a large container and mix with 75g unsalted sunflower seeds, 75g chopped apricots, 50g pumpkin seeds and 50g goji berries. Walnuts are rich in essential fatty acids, which increase energy levels and regulate blood sugar levels.
6.00PM - protein dinner
- Serve with unlimited amounts of vegetables including broccoli and cauliflower. Tuna is a lean source of protein full of natural creatine and omega 3 fatty acids, which help your body preserve protein and reduce muscle inflammation.
10.00PM - before bed
- Blend 1 carton of EAS Myoplex Carb Sense (MF's suggestion) with 2tsp natural yoghurt, a drizzle of honey and 15g almonds. A protein fix gives your muscles the building blocks to repair and grow while you sleep. The yoghurt and almonds contain sleep-inducing tryptophan and magnesium, which will help your muscles relax and wind down.